Chef Sanjay Thumma is adorable! He needs a show on the Cooking Channel immediately! In this video he is SO excited about pizza. I love that he put his own spin on toppings.
"When bunch of guys get together to watch a sports channel they want pizza, When bunch of ladies get together to having a kitty party they- want some quick bite- it's pizza. Ask a kid what they want- it's pizza"
So true. Check him out at http://www.vahrehvah.com/
Monday, January 31, 2011
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Lots of my pizzalicious friends have been pointing out that Richmond.com currently has a poll on their site for the best pizza in Richmond. However, it has also come to our attention that they have left out several notable pizzerias, namely Jo-Jo's, Sette and Tarantino's. Here on Pizzalicious we have tried to come up with a more comprehensive list of beloved pizzerias in order to find out who is REALLY the best.
Leave a comment with any joints we missed.
Here is my belated entry for the Municipal Waste Pizza Contest! I am so excited that this contest happened. I think it is fucking rad that a band from RVA had a pizza contest. I'm going to try to organize a similar event in Richmond!
Cheesy green toxic waste, pig skin and cheese from a baphomet on a slice of beer presented on pillars of PBR!
Mozzarella pesto, prosciutto and chevre (goats cheese) on a beer-bread crust
Stretch dough and spread out a generous amount of pesto. Top with prosciutto and small dollops of chevre. Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden. Cut into a pentagram. Stack pie pan on 5 cans of ice cold PBR Beer and serve.
1 cup warm (110 degrees to 120 degrees) beer
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 1/2 ounces fresh yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
Combine beer, 2 tablespoons olive oil, sugar, salt, and yeast. Slowly add flour, and mix.
On a lightly floured work surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Brush the inside of a large bowl with remaining tablespoon olive oil; transfer dough to bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
Punch down dough, and transfer to a clean surface. Using a bench scraper or sharp knife, divide dough in half, keep covered until use.
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1 T Lemon Juice
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella
Combine the basil, lemon juice, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add cheeses and pulse. Then gradually add the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Friday, January 28, 2011
|Black Metal Pizza Party|
Dudes, I don't care if I don't live in London. I would have TOTALLY won this contest! Fellow Pizzalicious blogger, Harris Middleton, gave me the heads up on this totally rad contest from Scuzz TV to create a Municipal Waste-themed pizza. Municipal Waste is an internationally known thrash metal band from Richmond, VA. I'm gonna test out some recipes this weekend! Prepare for pizza domination!
- Entries for pizza, complete with pizza base (can be any shape as long as it can fit in a pizza oven) along with a range of toppings of your choice.
- The design must represent a pizza with real, edible ingredients, and entrants must explain why they have chosen those specific ingredients and toppings in relation to Municipal Waste.
- The top five recipes will be chosen by the band and made at Pizzeria Pappagone.
- The band will then judge the pizzas based on taste, excitement and overall impression.
- The designer of the winning pizza will then get to hang out with the members of Municipal Waste at the band’s show at the Scala in London, UK on February 4th and will also receive a goody bag full of merch.
- The designers of the other four chosen recipes will receive a goody bag full of Municipal Waste merch.
- Entries must be sent to email@example.com by February 1st at 12pm UK time.
- The winner will be announced on Scuzz TV
Monday, January 24, 2011
This cute pizza craft feature was on the ReadyMade front page today. Thanks to my pizzalicious pal, Rude Robbie at Robert Smolko Graphic Design for the heads up. Of course I already have one of Cleo Dee's Pizza Squids. The only thing I love as much as pizza is cephalopods. I'm definitely trying to get my hands on some pizza-scented soap or candles. Ha!