Monday, July 6, 2009
Pizza Delivery Etiquette!
Do not be like Allison and Robbie! Always use proper pizza delivery etiquette when ordering a pizza, especially late at night. I have read on a few different websites that being a delivery driver is actually pretty dangerous and the Bureau of Labor statistics lists driving as one of the most dangerous professions. I'm always reading in the news about pizza delivery drivers that have been assaulted, harassed, killed and much worse. Jeez!
Here are my tips for pizza delivery etiquette
-Know what you want before you order. It is cool to ask about specials but don't ask someone to read you a menu over the phone.
-Have your credit card ready when ordering, or the cash ready before the driver arrives. Don't make them watch you pick through receipts and old tissues in your purse or wallet.
- If you're ordering a ton of pies, give them some time or order far enough in advance.
- Put the porch light on, and if you live in the middle of nowhere give a few hints on how to find the darn place when you order.
- Please answer the door with clothes on... depending on who you are and what you look like, the driver may disagree with this one... err on the side of good judgment and at least wear a robe. ha ha.
- Keep barking dogs and scrappy cats at bay.
- Don't be creepy or try to play creepy practical jokes, this person is working at their job. How would you feel if someone opened the door to your office holding a butcher cleaver and wearing a hockey mask? Do not want!
- TIP! Unless the delivery driver hands you an ice-cold, verticle pizza, there is no reason not to tip. They are using their own car for this job usually so at least give them something. Lots of places make you tip on a credit card WHEN YOU ORDER and don't allow you to write it in at the door. Stop pretending that the driver didn't tell you that the last time you ordered. Acceptable non-cash tips I've read about include: beer, weed, cigarettes, baked goods, breasts, etc. ha ha. Once again, err on the side of good judgment.
Here are some of my favorite pizza delivery blogs and more on pizza delivery etiquette and tipping from Tip the Pizza Guy.
Diary of a Pizza Girl
Diary of a Pizza Boy
Pizza Delivery Stories
The Streets of Pizza
Tales from the Road
Turn On Your Lights
Sex and Pizza